damage can occur as a result of a variety of disasters. It
can be due to fire fighting techniques, broken pipes, faulty sewer
functioning, leaky roofs, and numerous other destructive situations.
Do not wait to call for professional
help. Damage from the water and
bacteria growth can begin within hours. Contact APEX and let
their experienced team go into action. There are several
suggestions that can help minimize your loss while the APEX
team is in transit.
Before entering the effected area:
- Turn off the power
- Attempt to locate the source of water and shut it off if possible
- Be conscious of falling objects when applicable
- Use caution when walking on wet floors
Once the area has been secured:
- Remove as much water as possible by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe furnishings dry.
- Block furnishings with pieces of wood or Styrofoam if the items
are too large for removal from the damaged area. Be careful not to
place anything with dye or color against damp surfaces as the colors
may bleed and cause further damage.
- Lift any window treatments off carpet, loop through a non-metal
coat hanger, and place hanger on the drapery rod.
- Remove wet area rugs or other floor coverings.
- Open furniture drawers, closet doors and luggage to enhance
- Move photos, paintings and art objects to a safe, dry location.
- Remove wet fabrics and dry them as soon as possible. Hang furs and
leather goods to dry separately at room temperature.
- Remove damp books from shelves and spread out to dry.
- If damage occurs during a cool season, leave heat on. Do NOT
turn the heat up to high as it can accelerate damage. Try to
maintain an even temperature of 72°F/ 20°C; if in summer,
use an air conditioner if available.
- Inventory damaged merchandise and promptly remove to be dried if
damage occurs in a place of business. Salvage value would
generally be assessed by the adjuster.
with water damage:
- Never use an ordinary household vacuum to remove water.
- Never use electrical appliances while on wet carpet or wet floors.
- Never go into rooms with standing water if the electricity is on.
- Never lift tacked down carpet without professional help. Lifting
the carpet incorrectly could promote shrinkage.
It is IMPORTANT
to know that ordinary household type dehumidifiers will not properly dry
your building or home. Professional dryers use hot gas bypass or
desiccant systems to remain operable at all temperatures.